Want to get involved in the local food movement? The possibilities are endless! Here are a few ways you can become involved with the Indy Local Food Guide:
- Eat local. Subscribe to a CSA, visit a farm stand or orchard, shop at farmers markets, and dine at local farm-to-table restaurants.
- Join the mailing list. Being informed of local food in your community is an easy step in the direction of a more sustainable and connected community. Bonus: it’s free!
- Volunteer. Every month The Indy Local Food Guide and our parent nonprofit Hoosier Farmers Market Association holds tabling events. We always need volunteers to set up and staff information tables at events, and would be glad to have you join LFG as an Agricultural Ambassador!
- Distribute Guides. We like having guides to local sponsors within a week of their printing. Team work makes the dream work! Individuals with private automobiles and/or bike carriers are welcome to help distribute to sponsors within their county of resident or employment. April 20-June 1 annually.
- Research. January-March is our behind the scenes guide revamp. A team of volunteers research and edit the Guide’s content adding new farms, vendors and restaurants so the public can enjoy local treats all year long.
- Host a potluck. Give us a shout out if you want it to be open to the public. We’ll happily promote it on our page, but the responsibility to host and the liability is all yours.
- Host a farm tour and/or farm picnic. We’re happy to help coordinate a farm tour or picnic on your farm property. Contact us early as we only schedule one of these per month May-October.
- Meet the maker. If you’re a local food or food-related artisan, host a “Meet the Maker” event. Again, we’re happy to coordinate these site visits. Once per month November-April.
- Be an advocate. Voice your love of local food in the newspaper, on your blog and to elected officials. We do offer advocacy training for a nominal fee if you want it for your group or organization. Our advocacy training is through a community asset based approach.
- Sponsor. The Indy Local Food Guide is made available 100% through the power of sponsorships. Extended listing start at just $25. Want just your logo represented? We can help you spread your local brand at just $100.
- Donate. Our leadership and model is changing. As an Indiana public benefit nonprofit, we gladly accept donations! Checks can be made out to Hoosier Farmers Markets and mailed to:
Hoosier Farmers Market Association
Attn: Christina McDougall
456 N. Meridian St. Ste. 44540
Indianapolis, IN 46244